ZOCOR is a brand name of simvastatin, a synthetic lipid-lowering agent. It belongs to a class of drugs known as HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors or simply “statins”. It is a drug which is used in treating cholesterol in type II diabetes and heart disease patients.
ZOCOR is a lipid lowering agent that is synthetically derived from Aspergillus terreus. After oral ingestion, ZOCOR i.e. simvastatin, an inactive lactone, is hydrolyzed to the corresponding β-hydroxyacid form. This form is an inhibitor of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase, the enzyme which catalyzes the conversion of HMG-CoA to mevalonate. This is an early and rate-limiting step in the biosynthesis of cholesterol.
Indication and uses:
Patients can Buy ZOCOR Online for prescribed uses given below:
- ZOCOR is an adjunctive therapy to diet to reduce levels of low-density lipoproteins (LDL) or bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the patients having hyperlipidemia. Simultaneously, it increases the level of high-density lipoproteins (HDL) or good cholesterol in them.
- ZOCOR reduces the level of total cholesterol and LDL in patients having hypercholesterolemia. Similarly, it reduces the elevated triglycerides level in patients having hypertriglyceridemia and very low-density lipoproteins (VLDL) in patients having primary dysbetalipoproteinemia.
- It reduces the risk of stroke, non-fatal myocardial infarction, and needs for revascularisation procedures in patients with coronary heart diseases.
Mechanism of action:
ZOCOR (simvastatin) is a prodrug and is hydrolyzed to its active beta-hydroxy acid form, simvastatin acid, after administration. Simvastatin is a specific inhibitor of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase, the enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of HMG-CoA to mevalonate which is an early and rate-limiting step in the biosynthetic pathway for cholesterol. In addition, ZOCOR reduces very low-density lipoproteins (VLDL) and triglycerides (TG) and increases high-density lipoproteins (HDL)
Possible side effects of ZOCOR:
Patients can purchase ZOCOR online. However; they should understand the possible adverse reactions, which may be caused due to it. The following symptoms could be observed due to administration of simvastatin (ZOCOR)
- Unexplained muscle pain, tenderness and weakness in limbs.
- Memory problems, fever, and tiredness.
- Weight gain, swelling in the body, increased thirst.
- Less or no urinating, dark coloured urine, pain and burning sensation while urinating, increased urination.
- Dry mouth, fruity breath odour, drowsiness, and dry skin
Drug and Food interactions with ZOCOR:
Patients buy ZOCOR online as per their physician’s direction. However, they should disclose their other medications to him that are been taken at the same time. This avoids any significant drug interactions if any. Some are noted below:
- Drugs like posaconazole, voriconazole, erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, clarithromycin or telithromycin should not be used concurrently with ZOCOR or any other statin.
- The risk of myopathy including rhabdomyolysis is increased if drugs like cyclosporine or danazol and ZOCOR are administered simultaneously. A similar risk is observed in the concomitant administration of ranolazine, amiodarone, dronedarone or calcium channel blockers like diltiazem, verapamil or amlodipine.
- During treatment of ZOCOR (or other statins) the risk of myopathy including rhabdomyolysis is increased if lipid-modifying doses (more than or equal to 1 gm per day) of niacin is administered concurrently.
- Gemfibrozil is contraindicated with ZOCOR and fibrates should be used with caution when given along with ZOCOR.
- Caution should be exercised while co-administering colchicine with simvastatin (ZOCOR) or the concurrent use may result into myopathy including rhabdomyolysis.
Warnings and precautions:
Patients can buy ZOCOR online, but before administering the drug, one should learn the precautions, to be followed.
- ZOCOR occasionally causes myopathy manifested as muscle aches or muscle weakness or tenderness along with an increase in the value of creatine kinase (more than 10 times of upper normal limit). Myopathy may also lead to rhabdomyolysis. Thus ZOCOR should be administered in patients under strict medical supervision.
- Before starting treatment using ZOCOR, it is recommended to obtain liver enzymes tests prior to initiating the treatment and repeating the tests as per clinical indications.
- Administration of ZOCOR in pregnant women and nursing mothers should be avoided as far as possible. It should be administered only in ‘life threatening’ situations.