Tadalafil is one of the prominent medications available today that is used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED). This condition can be overcome through different drugs but Tadalafil is highly potent and works very efficiently. The drug is available in the brand name Cialis, though other generic versions are available with this same active ingredient. It is a PDE5 inhibitor.
What causes ED and how Tadalafil works to overcome ED?
ED affects many men worldwide today due to rapidly changing lifestyles. Leading a life of excessive drinking, east junk food, and other unhealthy practices lead to ED. The condition is also prevalent in some people diagnosed with diabetes or any heart condition. Tadalafil works by relaxing the muscles that are present in the walls of arterial blood vessels. This in turn helps to improve blood flow which further aids in pumping more blood into the penis to make it erect during sexual arousal. The drug typically has an onset time of about thirty minutes and the effects last for about thirty-six hours.
Tadalafil dosage information
The drug’s dosage varies based on the dosage form. The drug is typically available as an orally administered tablet in the dosage strengths of 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, and 20 mg. The severity of the ED problem usually determines the dosage strength. The prescribing doctor may initially suggest the lowest dose and gradually titrate to higher dose based on the response to the drug.
The single dose may be taken either with or without food. Since Tadalafil lasts for a long time, it is not really required to plan the sexual activity in advance and you can be spontaneous with your partner. The drug does not work as an aphrodisiac, hence sexual stimulation is required to get erection. Avoid taking more than a single dose in a period of twenty-four hours. Those take this pill on a once-daily basis can preferably take it at the same time every day for most effectiveness.
Before taking Tadalafil there are a few precautions to keep in mind.
- Do not take this drug if you are allergic to the active ingredient.
- Avoid using any nitrate drugs as it bring down blood pressure to a very low level.
- Inform your healthcare provider regarding any health conditions related to the heart, kidney, liver, eyes, ears, history of stroke, and high or low blood pressure.
- Also disclose any drugs that you may be taking to avoid any harmful interactions.
- Do not drink alcohol or consume grapefruit products while taking this drug.
- The drug is not indicated for use in women and children below the age of eighteen. It should be taken only by men.
- If the drug causes painful erection or erection lasting for longer than four hours, then get emergency medical assistance.
Common side effects include:
- Sore throat
- Muscle pain
Severe adverse effects that may require immediate medical assistance include:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling in the hands or feet
- Irregular heartbeat
- Sudden hearing loss or buzzing in the ears
- Sudden loss of vision
- Symptoms of heart attack
- Loss of vision
- Erection lasting for more than four hours
- Painful erection
Keep the drug in a place that is away from direct heat, sunlight, and moisture. Store the pills in a locked cabinet that is out of reach of children.