An interesting side effect observed in Modafinil users is weight loss. Those who have been taking the drug on a long-term basis have reportedly shed pounds since they first started taking this medication. Considering the effects of Provigil on its users and the way the drug works, one can easily assume that the drug indeed promotes weight loss. Although the weight loss results vary from one person to another, is there a probability for the drug to be prescribed exclusively for losing weight? How Modafinil works to induce weight loss and whether the drug can be used for such purposes is explored further in this blog.
How does Modafinil work to promote weight loss?
The ways in which this ADHD medication can induce weight loss is not just one but many. The following are some of the reasons as to why taking Modafinil promotes weight loss:
- The drug causes an increase in dopamine levels in the brain. By stimulating the reward centers, the drug inadvertently causes the user to feel full and overcome feelings of hunger. This loss of appetite leads to reduced overall eating.
- Another factor is that Provigil actively boosts cognition. What this means for the user is that there is higher mental alertness. In this way the person makes better choices with regard to lifestyle, activities, and diet.
- The Modafinil user directly feels an increase in energy without any fatigue. This in turn causes the person to stay more active and productive, physically or otherwise. There is bound to be greater physical activity and also higher burning of calories.
- Another effect of the use of this drug is that of nausea and vomiting. Under these circumstances, the user is likely to consume less than normal amounts of food.
- It can boost one’s confidence and decision making abilities. This helps the person to have greater self-control and also eat smart.
- Another likely effect of Provigil is that the drug speeds up the body’s metabolism and helps to more calories.
Can I take Provigil for weight loss?
The pill, available under the brand name Provigil, may seem like a good choice in order to lose weight. However, this is not an FDA-approved use and the drug should be taken only under medical supervision for the intended purposes. Weight loss with Modafinil is bound by other factors too. The results have a lot to do with the dosage, duration of use, and even the patient’s response to the medication. Some may expect to shed just a few pounds while others may see greater results. Since the weight loss effects of Modafinil cannot be quantified easily or fully ascertained, it is better to consult the doctor on suitable obese remedies. Ensure to always take Provigil only as directed.